Summer is spent and, as much as I hate to admit it, fall is beginning to give way to winter. As we move into this last season of the year, our calendars get busy. We have Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year celebrations and many things in between. Likewise, our church calendar is full to overflowing until after the first of the year.
- Beginning this Sunday, November 3rd, (which is also All Saints Sunday) we move to our new worship schedule. We will begin each Sunday at 9:30 am with our Traditional Worship service followed by Sunday school for all ages at 10:30 am and our second service, Coffee House worship, will begin at 11:15 am. Even though this isn’t a huge change, I expect that there will be some growing pains. We all will have to get moving a few minutes earlier to get here by 9:30 instead of 9:40. Worship will be a little bit different so that it will end before Sunday school begins. As I mentioned last month, we have been experimenting to see how we could shorten our service up a bit and with a few minor changes we have been getting pretty close.
- At the same time, I will be offering a “new member” class during the Sunday school hour for anyone who is interested in joining the church. My plan for this class is to teaching the basics of what it means to be United Methodist and what we believe so this might also be of interest to a few of you who are already members.
- During our earlier meetings, the folks from our second service expressed an interest in making some changes as well but since they haven’t been meeting all summer, haven’t yet made firm plans to do so. With that in mind, we will be starting our new time of worship much as we left off, but we will have a short meeting after worship each week to make plans for the future and to discuss our progress.
- Charge Conference will be held at McDonaldsville UMC on Sunday, November 10th at 7:00 pm. We will have a Charge Conference “preview” on Monday, November 4th for anyone who would like a chance to see all of our paperwork before we present it in public in McDonaldsville. My deepest thanks to everyone who has attended and contributed during many, many extra meetings to help us prepare for this annual event.
- At last count, I heard that we have twelve volunteers for our new adult Bell Choir and so I expect that we will soon see practices announced. I look forward to hearing them play for us.
- The United Methodist Women will host a Thanksgiving dinner on November 19th and, having sampled much of the delicious food that has been prepared by Trinity’s many expert cooks, I am certain that it will be mouth-wateringly wonderful.
- Believe it or not, Advent begins the first day of December. We have already received Advent calendars and devotional guides for adults and children that you can expect to see in the coming weeks. Given the amazing turnout that we had for our Advent Bible study last year, I have been asked to have another this year and have already received materials that we will be using for that as well.
- In the days ahead there will also be regular weekly youth meetings, a youth overnighter, practices for First UMC’s Christmas play (in which some of our youth will participate), our annual Hanging of the Greens, as well as all the events that we each have planned with schools, family, and friends.
Let us discover, together, what God is doing at Trinity.